GUI for setting timezone

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Jun 12 15:09:47 CEST 2018

On 06/12/2018 08:46 AM, Igor Zakharov wrote:
> 12.06.2018, 08:19, "Robert Moskowitz" <rgm at htt-consult.com>:
>> Look at the subject line.  A GUI interface.  I well know the command
>> line options and have used them.
>>
>> When I am traveling, I often don't know the city that is close to where
>> I landed.  Yes I can just guess on one that is in my new timezone, but I
>> rather at least get close (particularly in EU where I like to use a city
>> in the country I am in, rather than just some big city in my current
>> timezone).
> Since you travel so much... have you tried any of timezone-guessing apps?

No.  I use what is in the repos.  I am not a builder.  I have tried from
time to time, but just don't do it enough.  Maybe when I retire.

> This is what I was able to find on AUR:
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/localtime-git/
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/tzme-git/
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/tzupdate/

No docs on these pages, and not familiar with how to find them.  How do
they know what to guess?  tzupdate at least says it uses IPgeolocation.
That will work some of the time.  IETF meetings often have the
IPgeolocation pointing to where the LAST meeting was (like half the
world away?).

thanks though for the pointers.