cannot customize terminal PATH anywhere

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 06:48:07 CEST 2018

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 4:24 AM Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> Quite true, but why make things difficult for yourself, adding to PATH
> in .profile (or .bash_profile, or .bash_login) works in just about
> every normal setup and adds what you want just once.

Except that bash also always reads .bashrc, whereas .profile is
typically only read when you open an interactive session.

Hence .bashrc is the correct and most effective place to make changes
for all your bash instances.

> > It is also easy enough to check the PATH to see if it already contains
> > the path you want to add and skip that one.
> >
> Yes, but do you really want to check it every time, computers are good
> at automating things you know! :-)

Which is why you put the checks into your .bashrc.  That's what checks
it every time for me.  Why would you not want to do that and automate
the handling?

For the record, .profile is for all Bourne and Bourne-related shells,
including bash interactive sessions.  .bashrc is for all bash
sessions, interactive or command line (or program system() calls).

I do what works.  It beats complaining about it, and I get what I want.

Cheers.

MR