disable screensaver from command line

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Wed Aug 22 03:08:37 CEST 2018

I'm using whatever is the default in the Ubuntu packages - but yes, it
appears to be xscreensaver. I'll take a look at the man page. Thanks!

  8728 user      user      Xtightvnc :5 -desktop X -auth
/home/user/.Xauthority -geometry 1440x900 -depth 16 -rfbwait 120000
-rfbauth /home/user/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 5905 -fp
/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/,/usr/share/fonts/
  8734 user      user      /bin/sh /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc --
/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc
  8747 user      user       \_ xfce4-session
  8771 user      user           \_ xscreensaver -no-splash
15696 user      user               \_ deco -root

On 2018-08-21 18:04, Jim Dean wrote:
> The screensaver isn't part of Xfce but if you are using Xscreensaver
> there is  manpage that shows how to configure it. On systemd distros
> you can disable it with systemctl --user disable xscreensaver and
> restart.
>
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 at 10:53, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm running XFCE 4.12 on Ubuntu 16.04. It's an unattended
>> installation,
>> fully automated via Ansible. The desktops are running under VNC and
>> each
>> user connects remotely via VPN. All vncserver services are running
>> all
>> the time for all users (it's simpler this way).
>>
>> After a while, screensavers kick in for all accounts, wasting CPU
>> cycles. I can't ask users to disable their screensaver manually
>> because
>> the instance may be destroyed / recreated any time, losing any
>> manual
>> changes.
>>
>> Is there a way to disable the screensaver from the command line? If
>> so,
>> I could run that command (or set of commands) while the instance is
>> provisioned with Ansible, disabling the screensaver for all
>> accounts.
>>
>> --
>> Florin Andrei
>> http://florin.myip.org/