placement of new window covers window I am typing into

Alan E. Davis lngndvs at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 02:24:28 CEST 2017

Thank you, Igor:

I found it.  Hope it works.

I appreciate your response,

Alan

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 11:38 AM, Igor Zakharov <f2404 at yandex.ru> wrote:

> 13.09.2017, 14:32, "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs at gmail.com>:
>
> Hello:
>
> I have tried a plethora of window management systems.  XFCE4 is my goto
> desktop system.  I have few problems with it, and I feel confident that it
> will do what I need it to do.  Nice!
>
> Well, here's something I could use help with: numerous times, when typing
> (as today, in a terminal), early, as XFCE4 is just starting up, if I am
> typing, a new window covers the window I am typing in.
>
> Is there a setting that can prevent this?  I want the window I am typing
> in to stay on top and remain active.  Otherwise, my thought stream is
> interrupted as I search for the window that just disappeared.
>
> I would appreciate any suggestion.  I wonder what is "smart placement".
> This, in my mind, would be a smart thing for the window manager to do!
> Stay out of my way.
>
> Thank you again,
>
> Alan Davis
>

> Hi Alan,
>
> Have you tried configuring xfwm to not steal focus when opening a new
> window? https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfwm4/preferences
>
> Regards,
> Igor

[I do not] carry such information in my mind since it is readily
available in books. …The value of a college education is not the
learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think.
          ---Albert Einstein

"Sweet instruments hung up in cases. . . keep their sounds to themselves."

         ---Shakespeare, _Timon of Athens_