dual screen -desktop issue-xfce4.12

Damien Delpiroux xzurukneg at free.fr
Tue Sep 12 19:03:20 CEST 2017

Hi all.

I don't know if it's better to post on forum or make a bug report for my
case. Please tell me.

Using xubuntu 16.04;
I've got dual screen. Set by arandr, all seem ok: position auto-saved
and restored, two wallpapers (one for each screen), I can put windows on
the second screen, all seem ok.

But in fact when I login (or boot), I can't use the second screen area
as a desktop: I can't put (or move to) icon, files, folder etc..
Also, the organization (position of the files, launcher etc..) of the
first screen in broken, and set as "by default" (all the 'things' in the
up left corner). That the most uncomfortable issue for me.

I have a workaround. After boot, I do:
xrandr --output VGA-0 --off --output HDMI-0 --off ; (the second screen
is the VGA one and I don't use hdmi)
sleep 1 ;
xrandr --output VGA-0 --mode 1024x768 --pos 1057x1024 --rotate normal

As you see I just shutdown the second 'broken' screen and re-start it.
Then I can do on this screen all what I can't before, and the icons
supposed to be on automatically goes on it.

It's impossible to auto run the workaround, because it need the
autostart procedure to be completely over to be run.

Odd thing isn't it?
I never had this with xubuntu12.04 or 14.04with same conf and hardware.

Best,

--
Damien.DX