x86_32 support

Alexander Ploumistos alexpl at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 7 14:40:57 CEST 2017

Hello,

I had originally posted this in the Xfce forum, but I was told to
contact you via the ML.

I am writing on behalf of the Fedora x86 SIG, which is currently under
formation. Our goal is to keep Fedora running on the i686 platform and
if there is enough interest, we might produce an i686 spin. As we are
examining our options for a specific deliverable that we want to see
maintained, the “tiny server” target seems the most sustainable one,
but we haven't ruled out desktops yet.

What I would like to hear from you is if your road map for the
foreseeable future includes some change that might make it impractical
to run Xfce on i686 machines, or if you intend to drop support for the
architecture altogether. We haven't decided on the minimum specs we
are willing to support/test, but for now PAE support seems out and we
are still trying to figure out if we want to include non-SSE2 CPUs. In
any case, we are talking about systems with limited resources, so it
would be desirable e.g. to keep RAM use of the desktop below 512MB.

Best regards
Alexander Ploumistos