Unable to play anything with Parole

Alan Mackenzie acm at muc.de
Thu Nov 9 21:27:57 CET 2017

On Thu, Nov 09, 2017 at 20:53:13 +0100, jEsuSdA 8) wrote:
> Hi!

Hi, there!

> I've just reinstall my PC and it was unable to play anything with Parole
> WITH ANY USER BUT ROOT.

> I have all the gstreamer packages installed, the codecs, etc. in fact,
> as I said before, I can play anything as ROOT, but it is impossible to
> play with any other users.

> I tried a lot of internet forum tricks, but nothing works.

> Please, any has any suggestion?

The fact you can do something with root, but no other user, suggests
your normal user isn't a member of some group.

Is Parole a video program?  If so, you should probably put your user
into the video group.  I don't know if there's a command to do this, but
you can do it by editing /etc/group as root.  There should be a line in
that file looking something like:

    video:x:27:root,acm

where "acm" is the user.  If there's no entry for video yet, make one
with

    # groupadd video

(as root, of course).

If video isn't the right group, try reading Parole's documentation.  It
might identify the group for you.

Best of luck!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).