Should I be running Xubuntu or Lubuntu?

Zaphod justthisguyyouknow at nigge.rs
Tue May 9 22:13:04 CEST 2017

My laptop has the following CPU specs:

     *-cpu
          product: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 520  @ 2.40GHz
          vendor: Intel Corp.
          physical id: 4
          bus info: cpu at 0
          version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 520  @ 2.40GH
          serial: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
          slot: CPU 1
          size: 1466MHz
          capacity: 4GHz
          width: 64 bits
          clock: 533MHz
          capabilities: x86-64 fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr
pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx
fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp constant_tsc arch_perfmon
pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq
dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2
popcnt aes lahf_lm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid dtherm ida arat
cpufreq
          configuration: cores=2 enabledcores=1 threads=2
        *-cache:0

Which is hardly more than the specs "required" by Xfce. I have also used
Xfce on hardware lower than your's before and didn't have any problems.
I'd say that the best advice would be to use a live USB/CD and give it a
whirl on the exact hardware for about a day and see if you can put up
with any increased loading times or anything.

Xfce doesn't actively use 2GHz of CPU power at all times. That would be
ridiculous. That's something I would expect out of KDE perhaps, but
certainly not something that does the job and gets out of the way like Xfce.

--
we meme together, we dream together