xfce4-equake-plugin problem on epel7

Jeroen van Aart jeroen at mompl.net
Mon May 1 20:42:10 CEST 2017

(sent to xfce4-dev last January but there was no reply, I should add
that when I expand the panel in vertical size it will show more of the
text but never all of it)

On rhel7 with xfce4* including xfce4-equake-plugin installed from the
epel7 repository I noticed that when I add the plugin to the panel it
does not show the text fully. Basically it shows the small icon and
about one and a half character. Normally it should show the full text
displaying the most current earthquake event.

It looks like for some reason the plugin is not receiving a resize event
and/or the panel does not allow it to resize.

This problem does not occur on any other distributions which have the
plugin available such as fedora 25, ubuntu 16.04, debian testing, mint.
All are based on the same source with minor or no changes.

The version of the panel on epel7 is:

xfce4-panel-4.12.0-4.el7.x86_64.rpm

The rpm packages of the olugin:

https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/xfce4-equake-plugin/overview/

I don't think filing a bug report is necessary (yet), because the
problem is limited to epel7 only and may already have been fixed, since
it works on fedora 25.

However does anyone know which potential bug would cause this and if
there is a work around that doesn't require a patch of the source of the
panel or waiting for a patched epel7 package to arrive? Perhaps all that
is needed is a configuration change somewhere.

Below you can see an example of code I use to change the size. If I
recall correctly I adapted this from an example as being the way one is
supposed to notice and respond to size and orientation changes, but my
memory is sketchy since it's been a while. As I said this works fine on
any other xfce4 panel versions I have tried.

static void example_orientation_changed(XfcePanelPlugin *applet,
GtkOrientation orientation, struct Example_Data *exampledata)
{
   orientation=xfce_panel_plugin_get_orientation(applet);
   xfce_hvbox_set_orientation(XFCE_HVBOX(exampledata->hbox), orientation);
}

static void example_size_changed(XfcePanelPlugin *applet, int size,
struct Example_Data *exampledata)
{
   GtkOrientation orientation;
   orientation=xfce_panel_plugin_get_orientation(applet);

   if (orientation==GTK_ORIENTATION_HORIZONTAL)
     gtk_widget_set_size_request(GTK_WIDGET(applet), -1, size);
   else
     gtk_widget_set_size_request(GTK_WIDGET(applet), size, -1);
}

I create the following relevant signal callbacks:

g_signal_connect(G_OBJECT (applet), "size-changed", G_CALLBACK
(example_size_changed), exampledata);
g_signal_connect(G_OBJECT (applet), "orientation-changed", G_CALLBACK
(example_orientation_changed), exampledata);