lose mouse ,etc when display is off

FHDATA fhdata at unm.edu
Tue Jul 11 00:37:28 CEST 2017

greetings,

I am using xfce 4.12.0  -- on a desktop (not a laptop)

When I turn off my display monitor and turn it back on
I lose my mouse pointer (effectively renders mouse
useless) and the desktop background ,etc,etc  and
only a restart of X  will turn the situation back
to normal (of course I would lose all my sessions ,etc)

I did this which did *not*  help:

I completely disabled power mgmt:

via 'systemctl stop upower' as well as
un-checking power mgmt in Xcfe's Settings Session and Startup

I would like to be able to turn off my monitor
whenever I like without losing mouse ,etc ...

Is there any way?

thank you,
F-