Using keyboard configurator

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Dec 20 17:06:38 CET 2017

   While I've used xfce since 1997 I don't use many of the applets as I
prefer the command line and config files. However, I've just been made aware
of the Keyboard configurator and believe that it will resolve a
long-standing issue for me.

   Because I do a lot of writing with emacs I swap the CapsLock and LeftCtrl
keys using ~/.Xmodmap. This has always worked for me on my desktops but not
on my portables. It has been suggested that I use Settings->Keyboard->Layout
instead, and I have questions about using it correctly.

   My desktop keyboard is an Adesso model AKB-901 and I do not find that
brand or model in the Keyboard Model drop-down list. I assume there's an
equivalent on the list and would like a suggestion on how to determine which
to select.

   My portables likely have an identifiable keyboard on that list: Dell
Latitude E5410, Dell Latitude 2100, and Lenovo ThinkPad X200.

   I looked at a couple of web pages on the keyboard configuration tool
without learning how to use the 'Change layout option' and 'Compose key'
features.

   The portables need only swap the functions of the CapsLock and LeftCtrl
keys. The Adesso has a couple of 'Windows' keys on the bottom row, and this
puts the LeftAlt key (used as the Meta key in emacs) one key to the right
for easy use. On this keyboard I'd like to swap the LeftWindoze and LeftAlt
keys.

   Please point me to the appropriate docs so I can learn how to make these
key swaps on my keyboards.

Rich