Background daemon calls notify-send - no notifications

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Sat Aug 19 10:27:51 CEST 2017

Hi, I am trying to use notify-send with the NUT (Network UPS Tools) daemon
upsmon which runs in the background as user "upsd", monitoring UPS units.
This is one of the use cases given in the Desktop Notifications
Specification.

However this doesn't work because

  1. The xfce4-notifyd "daemon" runs as the userid of the caller,
  2. Daemon upsmon does not have access to the X11 server.

Sure, I can massage user "upsd" into being a regular user with X11 access,
and that is my current workaround, but I am surprised by the design.  I
expected something more like cupsd in which a detached daemon isolates the
user from the printer details and manages the flow of print files.

It seems that there is a confusion between `notify me´ and `notify them'.
The current design might be suitable for `notify me´, but an industrial
use such as UPS monitoring requires a `notify them´ approach.

Roger