Creating a very isolated desktop: disable Window operations menu

Danny Smit danny.smit.0 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 11:17:54 CEST 2017

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to configure an Xfce4 desktop running on CentOS 7, such
that the allowed actions of certain users are very limited. I only
want a single application (with subwindows) to be run, while limiting
access to other functionality of the system and desktop.

I tried getting the kiosk mode to work by following these steps:
https://wiki.xfce.org/howto/kiosk_mode
but it doesn't seem to react to the kioskrc configuration file at all.
I'm probably not doing it right, allthough I thought I was following
those instructions to the letter.

Therefore I resorted to turning of options trough the user
configuration in the user's home directory and was able to provide a
desktop with most of the options disabled. However one of the things I
wasn't able to disable yet is the "Window operations menu" that opens
when a user right-clicks on the titlebar.

Therefore I'm looking for some answers to the following questions:

1. Could it be that kiosk mode doesn't work in the CentOS 7 context?
Or that the configuration at the wiki doesn't match anymore?
2. Is it even possible to disable the "Window operations menu" through
configuration?
3. Probably the answer to the previous question will be "no" I think.
What would it take to add disabling the "Window operations menu" as a
configuration option? (probably more of a developers question?)

Kind regards,

Danny Smit