application menu has gone?!

Ernest Adrogué nfdisco at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 14:40:34 CEST 2016

2016-09-22, 23:56 (+0200); Ulli Horlacher escriu:
> On Thu 2016-09-22 (23:10), Ulli Horlacher wrote:
> > On Xfce 4.12 (Ubuntu 16.04) I tried to add a menu entry with "Menu Editor"
> > (About says: MenuLibre), but it did not work
>
> I also tried to exclude the "Games" directory with "Hide from menus [on]"
> But without success. After closing and restarting "Menu Editor" the
> default setting is back.
>
> So: how can I modify the application menu?

One option is copy the file /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu to
~/.config/menus and edit that file by hand.  It's a standard XML file.

For instance, to disable the "Games" submenu, find the menu named "Games" in
the file and remove it or comment out the corresponding lines.

To add entries in the menu you need to create a desktop file.

Here you can read more details: https://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu

I know this solution is far from ideal, but since there isn't any menu
editor available I'm afraid it's the only way.