set window manager theme by command?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Oct 10 15:19:35 CEST 2016

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 14:53:11 +0200, Ulli Horlacher wrote:
>grep theme .config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/*
>config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-notifyd.xml [snip]
>config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfwm4.xml [snip]

Is there no xsettings.xml containing the theme? Run grep by ignoring
case distinctions.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ grep -i \"themename .config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/*
.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xsettings.xml:    <property name="ThemeName" type="string" value="Zen-verda"/>

I understand what you want to do, but I don't know if there's a command
line tool to do it. Assuming xsettings.xml should be correct, did you
try restarting xfwm?

Maybe there's some race condition, perhaps instead of unsetting and
resetting the theme, just restarting the window manager could be used
as a workaround.

Or you use sed to remove and add again the wanted ThemeName value to
xsettings.xml, perhaps a daemon does notice it and acts automatically.

Did you try to mv away .cache/xfce4/?

Regards,
Ralf