Frequent lockups :(

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 18:12:24 CEST 2016

On 29 March 2016 at 18:05, brian <brian at meadows.pair.com> wrote:

> I did try leaving the PC for an extended time (around 30 minutes) but
> it was still non-responsive. There's no way for me to navigate
> anywhere when it happens, neither keyboard nor mouse produce any
> effect.

​You cannot really debug such problems from the system itself, best to to
ssh to the machine from another box and try to see if a proc​ess is hogging
on the CPU for example.

It could also be that one X11 app is having an active grab on the pointer
and keyboard, thus preventing any other user interaction (that appears like
a lockup except that the screen still refreshes, the mouse pointer still
moves, etc.)

Also, xfce 4.10 is a bit old (even more considering the pace of xfce
releases...) - But it's next to impossible to root cause such issues
remotely, you need to first investigate on your side.

Cheers,
Olivier