screen saver?

Kai-Martin Knaak knaak at iqo.uni-hannover.de
Tue Jun 7 22:21:12 CEST 2016

On  6. Juni 2016 Weedy <weedy2887 at gmail.com> wrote:

> He's tired of having his time wasted with bug reports from versions
> 2+years old.
>
> Which is arguable fair. If I cared enough I would go find the Debian
> bug and find out why testing doesn't have a recent version.

Two further aspects are worth mentioning: The developer does not run a
bug tracker. He hard coded his email address into the man page. No
wonder, people contact him directly rather than Debians bug reporting
tool. If he were genuinely annoyed of users reporting bugs from
old versions, I'd expect him to do like almost every other developer
and not give out his email address that liberally. Debian maintainers
do a _very_ good job in weeding out duplicate reports or already
resolved issues.

My interpretation: The developer perceives a lack of control if users
use an "old" version of his suite. I can certainly see where he comes
from. But this is an integral part of the open source deal. Developers
give up control in exchange for the recognition that is implied by
hordes of users choosing to run their product.

---<)kaimartin(>---
Kai-Martin Knaak		           knaak at iqo.uni-hannover.de
Universität Hannover, Inst. f. Quantenoptik    tel: +49-511-762-2895
Welfengarten 1, 30167 Hannover                 fax: +49-511-762-2211
GPG key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=Knaak+kmk&op=get