How recover file lost when Thunar crashed during cut-and-paste?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jan 31 17:38:44 CET 2016

>On 30 January 2016 at 18:00, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz at gmail.com> wrote:
>> When it comes to moving any kind of files, whether for backup,
>> relocation or pretty much any kind of large scale movement, I rely on
>> rsync rather than cp, mv, or Thunar.  It is safer and less prone to
>> failure, and it leaves behind whatever files you didn't finish
>> copying in hidden files with similar names for your own recovery or
>> disposal later.

Hi,

the Linux mv command is atomic, if your source and destination are on
the same partition. If they are on different partitions, what should
happen, if you cp and assumed the exit status is 0, then rm the source
and check the exit status of rm too, if you want to ensure that
everything was removed. I don't understand up to what extend rsync
should be safer and less prone to 1. an atomic process or 2. cp and
rm commands that finished with exit status 0? In addition to a copy,
you could verify/diff everything, before you continue with rm. Users
tend to make mistakes when using commands that comprehensive as rsync
is.

Regards,
Ralf