Where is the spelling dictionary ?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Sep 28 23:03:42 CEST 2015

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 16:30:52 -0400, John Culleton wrote:
>Recently in an email I misspelled "plain" as
>"plin" but the spell checker passed it. I want to
>eliminate this non-word and any others I can
>spot. Ispell caught the error. Where is the XFCE
>spelling dictionary and what is its name?

What email client or web browser did you use?

It depends to the app you want to check the spelling.
Some apps need hunspell or aspell, in addition you need to install a
dictionary, other apps require enchant.

You should install enchant, hunspell, hunspell-en, aspell,
aspell-en, replace "-en" with the language you need.

For example firefox, icecat, qupzilla, tor-browser-en,
palemoon, yudit require hunspell, but e.g. mc requires aspell.
Enchant is required by abiword, claws-mail, gedit, gtkhtml4,
gtkspell, kdelibs, pluma, webkit2gtk, xchat and others.

I suspect you are using Claws Mail 3.9.0 (GTK+ 2.24.20;
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu)? When sending a request to the Xfce list you
should at least mention that you use Linux,if so, better is to mention
the distro.

Regards,
Ralf