Insane CPU usage of upowerd

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Oct 24 14:01:50 CEST 2015

Hi,

if an iPad is connected by USB to the PC, while upowerd is running, the
CPU usage of upowerd could increases until it reaches 100%, at least it
does use between 5% and 35% after a few minutes.

On my machine upowerd gets started by xfce4-power-manager.

Usually I'm using xfce4-power-manager to get a GUI to adjust the screen
blanking time for an openbox session, IOW I not necessarily need it.

When running a regular Xfce4/Xfwm4 session I expect a sane behaviour of
all programs started by Xfce4 tools, but it's the same issue for
a Xfce4/Xfwm4 session.

However, I can keep xfce4-power-manager running and
"sudo killall upowerd" to solve this issue for my usage of
xfce4-power-manager.

Unfortunately upowerd is a hard dependency for a few apps,
xfce4-power-manager requires upower as a hard dependency too.

I don't now for what purpose upowerd is started when launching
xfce4-power-manager. The way I'm using it, upowerd seemingly isn't
needed.

Is it possible to prevent xfce4-power-manager from starting upowerd?

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ pacman -Q upower xfce4-power-manager
upower 0.99.3-1
xfce4-power-manager 1.4.4-1

Linux 4.2.3-1-ARCH x86_64 with option threadirqs

Regards,
Ralf