mounting fake cd-roms that are on usb sticks

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Wed Oct 21 13:15:07 CEST 2015

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 03:54:10 -0700
"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider at gmail.com> wrote:

> My initial guess was indeed that this was a U3 disk (or something similar).
>  However, that does not appear to be the case, as can be seen from the
> kernel messages.  The disk has two partitions - a normal one (5:0:0:1) that
> is mounted fine and one (5:0:0:0) that claims to be a CD-ROM and does not
> show up on the desktop.  This CD-ROM partition does result in the creation
> of /dev/sr0 which can then be mounted manually.
>
> My guess is that there is no way to signal that a CD is present in /dev/sr0
> so there is nothing to trigger putting a icon on the desktop, but this is
> only a guess.

You could try to create an fstab entry for it, and give it x-gvfs-show
under options, then it will be displayed graphically. You probably also
want to use nofail, so that the boot will not hang if the device isn't
present (if you use systemd).

Something like:

/dev/sr0   /mnt  iso9660  nofail,x-gvfs-show,ro  0 0

Add something like that, plug in the USB stick, and see if it works.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"