Can I suppress the beep from XFCE on logging out?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Oct 20 21:17:07 CEST 2015

> On 20.10.2015, at 20:30, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 15:34:00 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>> Is there a setting with which I can suppress this beep?  (Yes, I had a
>> look around the <settings> menu.)  If not, would it be possible,
>> perhaps, to build in such a setting for the next release?
>
> Find the beep sound file, and replace it with a link to /dev/null ?

The OP likely hears the bell (printf "\a"), possibly produced by the piezoelectric buzzer of a tower PC. If so, then no sound file is used. However, even if the bell should be produced by a sound file, then removing it would disable it for other usage too.

$ sudo modprobe -r pcspkr

does disable the beep completely, but perhaps this isn't wanted.

Regards,
Ralf