xfce4-panel changing icon for showdescktop plugin

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Fri Nov 27 17:11:37 CET 2015

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 15:46:47 +0100
Sylvain <xfce4 at ledragon.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I may have missed some documentation but I just want to change the Icon
>displayed in the panel.
>
>Can I do something like copying the showdesktop.desktop file somewhere
>to ~/.config/xfce4/… or something, then edit it to point to another
>icon. And that's it?
>
>Could you point me to the right path I need to look after?
>Or the good documentation URL.
>
>I've found:
>
>http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=7671 - [Solved] 4.8 Panel
>backgrounds...
>~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml
>http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/preferences - modifying panel globally
>http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/theming - modifying theme
>https://wiki.xfce.org/dev/howto/panel_plugins - dev wiki
>
>and
>
>restart the panel
>xfce4-panel -r
>
>https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce/2013-June/032350.html
>xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -l -v
>
>Nothing helped in that way for now.
>
>Regards,
>Sylvain.

You can copy the *.desktop file to ~/.local/share/applications . Then
you can edit that file as the user and change the icon to anything you
want. You can even design your own icon, put it somewhere in home, and
tell the file to look there.

The applicable line in the file will be:

Icon=

I hope this helps.

--
Charlie Kravetz