XFCE configuration data

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed May 27 17:52:58 CEST 2015

On Wed, 27 May 2015 13:14:46 +0200, killermoehre wrote:
>> Likely dconf or gconf aren't used, even not by xfwm.
>
>Because xfce (and therefor xfwm4) uses xfconf ;)

Thank you,

fortunately .config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/* aren't binary
blobs :).

>> Likely ~/.gtkrc-2.0 and ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini are ignored.
>
>That's wrong. xfce honors this settings. They override the default from
>the current theme.

Ouch! Then I need to write a wrapper for startxfce4 and edit

$ grep Exec /usr/share/xsessions/xfce.desktop
Exec=startxfce4

to startxfce4.wrapper and ensure that upgrades won't overwrite it.
Fortunately Arch Linux's /etc/pacman.conf provide a NoExtract option.

I already use a wrapper to start openbox with different profiles for
e.g. .gtkrc-2.0:

$ ls -hAl .gtkrc-2.0*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 .gtkrc-2.0 -> .gtkrc-2.0_openbox-profile-pre-summery
-rw-r--r-- 1 .gtkrc-2.0_openbox+jwm
-rw-r--r-- 1 .gtkrc-2.0_openbox-profile-pre-summery

The wrapper does change the link. For the startxfce4 wrapper I would
link to empty files.

JFTR the gtk-theme-name entry fortunately is ignored, Xfce4 does use
another theme, but I need to check if the fonts are ignored too.

$ cat .gtkrc-2.0
# Auto-written by gtk2_prefs. Do not edit.

gtk-theme-name = "Adwaita"
style "user-font"
{
	font_name="FreeSans 12"

JFTR I noticed that /usr/share/xsessions/*.desktop files don't work
when executing a wrapper with options. I already planned to write a
startxfce4 wrapper too, for usage of different panel profiles.

The wrapper to start openbox makes usage of links.

$ ls -hAl /usr/local/bin/openbox-profile*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 /usr/local/bin/openbox-profile
lrwxrwxrwx 1 /usr/local/bin/openbox-profile-pre-summery -> openbox-profile

Instead of Exec=

openbox-profile default
openbox-profile pre-summery

IOW instead of using an option by $1, I use the name of the script by
$(basename $0) and launch it by Exec=

openbox-profile
openbox-profile-pre-summery

Regards,