Xfwm4 / compositor: gray background

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Wed May 20 11:17:51 CEST 2015

Because Compton is a different implementation, it's a standalone
compositor and therefore should work in different configuration.

xfwm4, on the oppotite, is a window manager with an embeded compositor
for xfce, and xfce has xfdesktop, so there is no point in monitoring
the root pixmap because you will never see the root window with
xfdesktop.

As I said, you can enable that in xfwm4, it's just that you have to do
that on your own by rebuilding xfwm4.

Otherwise, if you are not interesting in neither the desktop icons nor
the apps icons, then just select "None" in xfdeskto psettings and you
will get exactly what you want.

Cheers,
Olivier