Equake with ads?

Jeroen van Aart jeroen at mompl.net
Thu May 7 02:57:11 CEST 2015

On 05/05/2015 01:17 AM, Per Backman wrote:

> Both links opened correctly from the email, but this is a different
> computer.
>
> Here are the details:
> Earthquake Magnitude: 1.61
> Date: 2015-05-05  07:46:57.090 UTC
> Date Local: 2015-05-05 09:46:57 CEST
> Location: 21km NE of Soledad, California
> Latitude: 36.5849991; Longitude: -121.1853333
> Depth: 2.62 km
> url: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/nc72440320#summary
> Detailed Map 21km NE of Soledad, California

I meant to copy paste the url of "Detailed Map 21km NE of Soledad,
Californi", if you right click it you can copy paste it. It would be
interesting to see how it looks like. But probably the same as other
instances of equake I would expect.

> When I clicked on map for the Soledad earthquake (latest=top), I got
> the following tabs:
>
> https://www.google.com/maps/search/36.5849991,+-121.1853333+%28Earthquake+Magnitude:+1.61+Region:+21km/@37.0625,-95.677068,4z/data=!3m1!4b1
>
> http://www.ne.com/NooterEriksen/default.aspx
>
> http://www.of.com/
>
> http://www.soledad,.com/
>
> http://california.+rendered+by+e-quake.org.%29&iwloc=a&hl=en/
>

> Notice, Soledad, and soledad,.com , NE of and ne.com and of.com
>
> I have Google as standard serach engine in the location bar (because my
> friends like it), maybe that has got something to do with it. If I
> click the links in details, it opens as it should, but when I click on
> "map" (for the latest earthquake), I get the above result.
>
> If I paste the first link into the browser I get the following error
> message from Google:
>
> We could not find 36.5849991, -121.1853333 (Earthquake Magnitude: 1.61
> Region: 21km Make sure your search is spelled correctly.
> Try adding a city, state, or zip code.
>
> Probably there is a problem with a break of line/line feed in the URL
> generated by the programme.

There shouldn't be. But you're probably thinking in the right direction
it may be something to do with the way you configured the search engine.

It could also be the program which is used to launch the url. It's
called exo-open and is part of xfce. I haven't yet installed the newest
xfce so exo-open may behave differently than my version, which is 0.6.2

Once you have found a url of a "Detailed map" try to paste it in a
browser and load it. It should load fine.

Then also try to run it like this (replace http://www.example.com with
the google maps url):

exo-open --launch WebBrowser 'http://www.example.com'

--