shutdown and restart

Denis Mertz mertz.denis+xfce at googlemail.com
Fri May 1 12:22:42 CEST 2015

Hello Levente,

I had the same problem, with a slightly different configuration: I
compiled XFCE 4.12 on debian unstable with systemd,
and got the same greyed out shutdown and restart buttons.

In my case, it was because i forgot to compile xfce4-session with
polkit enabled.
After recompiling xfce4-session with polkit enabled, it worked as
expected (you need to enable shutdown/restart for your user with
polkit of course).

So you can check if polkit is enabled in your xfce4-session.

By the way this is only relevant if you used systemd+logind and
xfce4.12. I think with sysvinit and/or with an older xfce version, the
requirements to make it work will be different,
but i dont know exactly what is needed in that case.

kind regards,
Denis