Preferred Applications - webbrowser settings ignored

Friedrich Strohmaier gmane at bits-fritz.de
Sun Mar 1 23:07:08 CET 2015

Hi Lars, *,

Am 23.02.2015 um 13:06 schrieb Lars Behrens:
> Am 23.02.2015 um 12:24 schrieb Friedrich Strohmaier:

>> I set up firefox following "Specify a custom Web Browser" but no change.
>> I selected chromium or even lynx, but no change

>> Doing all this results in get opened *firefox* without showing the desired URL.

>> I run  xfce4 4.10.1 on archlinux

> Having not much arch experience myself, maybe this helps:

> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xfce#xdg-open_integration_.28Preferred_Applications.29

Thanks, this helped narrowing down to deeper investigation:

setting:
Custom Web Browser: /home/me/lib/firefox/firefox "%s"

$ xdg-settings get default-web-browser
custom-WebBrowser.desktop

$ find .config/ .local/ -iname custom-WebBrowser.desktop
.local/share/xfce4/helpers/custom-WebBrowser.desktop

$ ls -l .local/share/xfce4/helpers/custom-WebBrowser.desktop
-rw-r--r-- 1 me users 249  1. Mär 22:53 .local/share/xfce4/helpers/custom-WebBrowser.desktop

.. created while setup.

$ cat .local/share/xfce4/helpers/custom-WebBrowser.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
NoDisplay=true
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=X-XFCE-Helper
X-XFCE-Category=WebBrowser
X-XFCE-CommandsWithParameter=/home/me/lib/firefox/firefox "%s"
Icon=firefox
Name=firefox
X-XFCE-Commands=/home/me/lib/firefox/firefox

Finally it appears that xfce is not able to pass the URL to firefox through the
configuration created by it's own?

As mentioned in the other thread's mail, thunderbird can do, so firefox is able
to receive the command. No glue how to dig deeper with xfce.

any help appreciated.

Friedrich