Question about session management

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Sun Jul 19 08:49:22 CEST 2015

On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 08:31:36 +0200
killermoehre <killermoehre at gmx.net> wrote:

> Am 18.07.2015 um 08:37 schrieb Petter Adsen:
> > I have a number of urxvt windows that I would like to be automatically
> > started when I log in, but when I run Settings -> Session and Startup
> > -> Session they don't show up, while xterms do.
> >
> > How is this handled, and how can I get urxvt to register in this list?
> > I really don't want to switch back to xterm.
> >
> > Petter
>
> Hi Petter,
>
> urxvt has to implement the client part of the X Session Manager protocol
> [1][2]. The Server part is implemented by xfce4-session.
>
> Regards
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_session_manager
> [2] ftp://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.0/doc/PDF/xsmp.pdf

Aha! Thank you! That explains it. I suspected it might be something
like this, I just had no idea what protocol might be relevant. I was
kind of hoping it might be possible to start it through a wrapper or
something, but that doesn't seem likely.

I guess I'll just have to switch to roxterm, then.

Thanks again,

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"