xfwm appears to ignore changes to WM_NORMAL_HINTS after mapping

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Aug 23 17:48:42 CEST 2015

Currently I have an application window that, according to xprop(1), has the
following properties:

WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
        program specified minimum size: 89 by 277
        program specified maximum size: 1912 by 277

So, the application window claims that its horizontal size can be adjusted,
and its vertical size is fixed. So I should be able to resize this
application window horizontally.

If I prepare to grab either the left or the right border with the pointer,
immediately upon hovering over the border xfwm (4.12) changes the mouse icon
to an arrow in the appropriate direction, supposedly indicating that the
application window can, indeed, be resized.

However, as soon as I actually grab the appropriate border, the mouse icon
changes to a hand, and instead of resizing the application window, xfwm4
drags the entire window, changing its position, but keeping its existing
size the same.

It appears to me that xfwm4 reads WM_NORMAL_HINTS only when the application
window gets mapped. At the time this application window got mapped, its
WM_NORMAL_HINTS indicated a fixed size, with minimum and maximum width being
the same (about the middle of this range). But after the window got mapped,
my application updated its WM_NORMAL_HINTS to the values shown above.

If I change the application to indicate an adjustable horizontal range
before the window gets mapped, xfwm4 will let me resize the application
window normally.

I have not done enough experimentation to determine whether or not xfwm pays
attention to updated WM_NORMAL_HINTS, as long as the initial values, when
mapped, indicate an adjustable size (meaning that this occurs only if the
initial WM_NORMAL_HINTS, upon mapping, reported a fixed size).

Does this look like a bug, or am I failing to implement some parts of icccm
that prod the WM to look at WM_NORMAL_HINTS again?