Missing a font

killermoehre killermoehre at gmx.net
Tue Apr 21 07:52:56 CEST 2015

Am 21. April 2015 05:12:42 MESZ, schrieb ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo at zoho.com>:
>On 04/20/2015 01:03 AM, Mișu Moldovan wrote:
>> On 20 April 2015 at 00:51, ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo at zoho.com>
>wrote:
>>>
>>> It is an IRS Schedule C tax form.
>>> http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sc.pdf
>>>
>>> Now this is interesting:
>>>
>>> $ fc-match 'Helvetica LT Std'
>>> DejaVuSans.ttf: "DejaVu Sans" "Book"
>>>
>>> $ rpm -qa \*msttcorefonts\*
>>> msttcorefonts-2.0-2.noarch
>>>
>>> I should have the font.
>>>
>>> I will ask the distro about a font manager.
>>
>> I think you are getting closer to what seems to be the root of the
>> problem. Your Fontconfig matches DejaVuSans for Helvetica LT Std and
>> that's not metrically compatible. It could be that Arial from the
>> corefonts package is, so install that and hopefully Fontconfig would
>> match Arial as Helvetic LT Std. If not, you could always create a
>> manual alias as explained here:
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_configuration#Replace_fonts
>>
>> Font-manager would have helped you with creating an alias. Also note
>> that you could use other fonts as metric aliases for Helvetica:
>> Liberation Sans from the Liberation fonts, Free Sans from the GNU
>> FreeFont project etc.
>
>Hi Mișu,
>
>Thank you for helping me with this!
>
>$ fc-match 'Helvetica LT Std'
>DejaVuSans.ttf: "DejaVu Sans" "Book"
>
>$ rpm -qa \*msttcorefonts\*
>msttcorefonts-2.0-2.noarch
>
>I couldn't find 'Helvetica LT Std' in any of my Windows Virtual
>Machines.  So I found it on the web, ran it through Virus Total,
>and installed it manually.  This was probably as bad choice
>of fonts for the IRS to have chosen.  Boy do these
>forms look pretty now (the fill in portions).
>
>-T
>
>Here are my notes on how to manually install fonts in Fedora and
>Red Hat, Scientific Linux, CentOS:
>

>Scientific Linux 6.x: How to manually install a font(s) globally:
>
>Reference:
>https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/7032/how-do-i-install-fonts-in-fedora/
>
>Note that "#" is "root's" prompt.
>
>1)  download the font(s) and place them in a directory inside
>     /usr/share/fonts
>
>     Note: 'Helvetica LT Std' example:
>
>        # cd /usr/fhare/fonts
>        # mkdir "Helvetica LT Std"
>
>        Download and unzip contents into the above directory
>
>        Helvetica:
>
>http://www.ephifonts.com/free-helvetica-font-helvetica-lt-std-complete.html
>

>2)  Run "fc-cache -v" to make the system aware of the newly installed
>font(s).
>
>     To force the re-generation of apparently up-to-date cache files,
>     overriding the timestaMișump checking, you can issue the -f flag.
>
>       # fc-cache -f -v
>       /usr/share/fonts/Helvetica LT Std: caching, new cache contents:
>20 fonts, 0 dirs
>

>3) double check with fc-match:
>
>      $ fc-match 'Helvetica LT Std'
>      HelveticaLTStd-Roman.otf: "Helvetica LT Std" "Roman"

Never ever put something by hand into /usr/some/path! This place is under solely control of the package manager. If you want a system wide change, use /usr/local/some/path, because this place is safe for not being touched by the package manager. See http://www.pathname.com/fhs for more informations.

Regards