thunar: open with mplayer / mpv stopped working

Ernest Adrogué nfdisco at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 10:25:41 CEST 2014

On 09/23/14 11:52, Ernest Adrogué wrote:
> Recently, when I try to open a video file with Thunar using mplayer
> (default app) or mpv (open with submenu) the file doesn't play at all.
> The file does play if I open it with mplayer running on a terminal.  It
> also plays if open it with Thunar by selecting open with vlc.
>
> I don't know why it fails because there is no error message to be seen,
> the file just doesn't play, nothing in .xsession-errors either.  Any
> idea what the problem might be?

I made some progress.  mplayer does run but it stops immediately,
because of a broken pipe (signal 13).  I know this because I managed to
capture mplayer's output

Starting playback...
VIDEO:  720x406  23.976 fps  836.2 kbps (104.5 kB/s)
VO: [xv] 720x406 => 720x406 Planar YV12

MPlayer interrupted by signal 13 in module: play_audio

MPlayer interrupted by signal 13 in module: play_audio

The same command run on a terminal isn't interrupted by any signal.  Now
it seems less an xfce bug and more an mplayer problem.