Thunar does not recognices mimetype asociation in PDF and OpenDocument

Rob McCathie korrode at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 12:28:30 CEST 2014

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 8:35 PM, jEsuSdA 8) <listas at jesusda.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a problem I can not solve instead I have spend a lot of time trying
> to solve. :(
>
> When I click a pdf file in Thunar, this pdf opens with ePdfViewer instead
> Evince.
>
> Evince is the software designed for opening pdf files in Thunar and in the
> XFCE mimetype editor. [screenshot 2 and 3]
>
> This has been working ok since ever, but suddently it stop working and
> Thunar opens pdf files with the wrong applicacion.
>
> This happens too with LibreOffice files (odt, ods, etc.). Thunar opens this
> files with Calligra instead LibreOffice.
>
> The others mimetypes associations works fine. Only PDF and LibreOffice files
> opens wrong.
>
> How I can see what is happening? How I can solve this problem?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Screenshot 1: http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=78253
> Screenshot 2: http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=78254
> Screenshot 3: http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=78255

Hi,

You should be able to change which application Thunar opens certain
types of files with by right-clicking a file of the given type,
expanding the "Open With" submenu, selecting "Open With Other
Application...", checking the "Use as default for this kind of file"
checkbox, and then selecting your desired application from the list
and clicking "Open".

If you have some issue with this method or for some reason prefer a
more manual approach, you can use a text editor to investigate the
contents your mimeapps.list file at:

~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

Regards,
Rob McCathie
Manjaro Team