How to install pakcages for xface desktop

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Nov 24 08:39:39 CET 2014

> Am 24. November 2014 08:04:01 MEZ, schrieb Sainadh J
> <jsainadh at ymail.com>:
> >i want to install packages which is suggested here.how to install
> >what are the installation procedure.please help me.
>
> Please, just use the packages provided by your distribution. Oh, and
> it's called Xfce. There is no "a" in there.

Not for the distro I'm using.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ pacman -Si xfce xfce4
error: package 'xfce' was not found
error: package 'xfce4' was not found

It provides a group, but it it's named xfce4:

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ sudo pacman -S xfce4
[sudo] password for rocketmouse:
:: There are 18 members in group xfce4:
:: Repository extra
   1) exo  2) garcon  3) gtk2-xfce-engine  4) gtk3-xfce-engine  5)
thunar  6) thunar-volman  7) tumbler
   8) xfce4-appfinder  9) xfce4-mixer  10) xfce4-panel  11)
xfce4-power-manager  12) xfce4-session
   13) xfce4-settings  14) xfce4-terminal  15) xfconf  16) xfdesktop
17) xfwm4  18) xfwm4-themes

Enter a selection (default=all):

IOW the name of the package(s) depends to the used distro and the
original poster's needs. A few distros e.g. separate header files to
individual development files. The procedure how to install the packages
also depends to the used distro, resp. to the package management used
by the distro.

Perhaps the original poster is using BSD and needs to compile from
ports ;).

Regards,
Ralf