XFCE crashes when un-suspended

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 21:33:45 CEST 2014

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 8:25 PM, David Rosenstrauch <darose at darose.net> wrote:
> On 03/31/2014 02:17 PM, John Coppens wrote:
>>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I teach at two schools, and as such, frequently switch from 'bare' usage
>> of the
>> notebook to using several different projectors. Any change during suspend
>> ('bare' to
>> 'projector', or reverse) crashes XFCE on un-suspend.
>>
>> Any suggestions where to look for the cause? Or where to look for signs?
>>
>> John
>

> Not sure if this is a solution, but FYI I usually disable the projector in
> the "Display" section of the xfce settings before I unplug the projector,
> suspend, etc.  Might be coincidental, but I don't seem to get crashes like
> you report.

I ran into this issue myself -- "crashing" Xfce -- related to
projectors. I learned to always disable the external monitor from
'Settings > Display > Uncheck external monitor' *before* physically
removing the VGA connector. Since I started doing that, I never
encountered such issues again.

I'm confident that there is some bug lurking around in Xfce, but I
couldn't come up with anything reproducible so never bothered to
report it.

Regards,
Liviu

> HTH,