adapted $PATH not available for GUI

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 16 21:17:12 CET 2014

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 20:01:57 +0100
houghi at houghi.org wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 05:42:28PM +0000, RW wrote:
> > > So at what point does the PATH enter the stream of parameters and
> > > where does it read that from? It seems not to be coming from any
> > > of the other files. /etc/profile works on tty1, so there is no
> > > syntax error.
> >

> > With a graphical login manager you haven't got an actual login
> > shell, so something else has to read in the files. Some managers
> > can do this, I've no idea about lightdm. ~/.xsessionrc seems as
> > good a place as any though.
>
> I know. So where does it get the information that e.g. /bin, /usr/bin
> and /usr/local/games are in $PATH when I do not have ~/.xsessionrc?
> The only two place I found where /etc/login.defs and /etc/profile and
> editing them does not change it.
>
> I doubt it just makes that up. What file does it read to get the
> data? So where does it get the data besides ~/.xsessionrc?
> What if I want to edit the default? What if I want to remove one?
> What if I want to not have /usr/local/share or /usr/local/games for
> ALL users on the machine by default?
>
> So where does it get the info
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games comes from?

That's not relevant. Your problem is that your settings aren't
being used because there isn't a real login, so something else has to
source .profile or equivalent. The last time I used KDM, it had a
bit of script to find the user's shell and source the appropriate files.
Your lightweight manager probably doesn't do anything at all about
this, so you have to do it yourself. Either put it where you have it or
look at the documentation for lightdm for an alternative place.