Getting to mount

Stephan Haller nomad at froevel.de
Wed Jul 30 08:15:08 CEST 2014

Am 29.07.2014 17:37, schrieb Beartooth:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 07:10:09 +0200, Stephan Haller wrote:

>>> 	No, I don't, despite an afternoon of combing through it. Can you
>>> describe how you get into Thunar, and where in it you find the links?
>>> Do the devices have to be running for you to see them? Or can you,
>>> for
>>> instance, find a quiescent tablet in Thunar and open it from there?
>> It is really as simple as already described for me. I just plug in my
>> external hard drive or phone or insert a CD/DVD, open Thunar and see
>> the
>> new devices at the sidebar. Then I click on its icon and it will be
>> mounted.
>>
>> If it does not work that way for you then I don't know what goes
>> wrong.
>> Either the dbus-service "udisks" is not installed or prevents to run?
>> Or
>> you need to install "thunar-volman" (I haven't it installed and works
>> without it)?
>>
>> I would first look for the service "udisks" if it installed and is
>> working. The command "udisks --enumerate" run as normal user should
>> list
>> all devices connected to your system. As fas as I know it should also
>> list devices not mounted.
>
> 	I get :
>
> $ udisks --enumerate
> /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/sda
> /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/dm_2d0
> /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/dm_2d1
> /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/sda1
> /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/sda2
> /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/sr0
> /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/dm_2d2
>
> 	Is there anything missing? How do I interpret what follows the
> last slash in each??
Don't get me wrong. I'm not an expert in Udisks or gvfs or thunar. I
only see the (optional) dependenies Gentoo has set for thunar and I just
wanted you to check if the suspected ones are installed and working. The
command above was the easiest for me to find ;)

As far as I know gvfs has an optional dependency on udisks and is an
extension to gio. Thunar depends gio and indirectly on gvfs and udisks.
Correct me if I'm wrong :) So I think the problem relies either in gvfs
or thunar. I don't know which distro you are using (and as I used Gentoo
I do not know any binary distribution well) but maybe you are missing an
additional package for gvfs?

I interpret the output of the command "udisks --enumerate" as object
paths at DBUS where a client can to connect to to get notified about
changed of these devices. The last word should correspond to your device
under /dev.