xfprint

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jul 9 13:44:37 CEST 2014

On Wed, 2014-07-09 at 11:43 +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> All this stuff reminds me why I use the command line most of the
> time! :-)

Linux, *BSD, Plan 9 and so on and so forth come with the advantage of
functional, self-explaining, very powerful command-line interface
shells :). For my taste Xfce still is a good DE, even while I switched
to JWM, but when I used Xfce, I already didn't install painful GNOME
crap, such as GVFS, for some tasks the command-line simply is the best.
We should use what ever WM/DE fits best to our needs, but never forget
that CLI sometimes is simply more comfortable. Even for GUIs we are free
to use something odd as GNOME with Xfe, Rodent, ROXterm etc. instead of
the DE's "solutions". Having said that I use JWM with some Xfce apps,
such as ...

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ cat .jwmrc
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<JWM>
[snip]
   <RootMenu height="15" onroot="12">
      <Program icon="categories/applications-other.png"
         label="Applications                  Alt+F3">xfce4-appfinder
      </Program>
[snip]
      <Program icon="/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/applets-screenshooter.png"
         label="Xfce Screenshooter     Print">
         xfce4-screenshooter -f
      </Program>
[snip]
      <Separator/>
      <Program icon="/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/status/xfpm-ac-adapter.png" label="Power Manager">
         xfce4-power-manager-settings
      </Program>
      <Program label="Screen Blanking on">
         killall xfce4-power-manager ; xfce4-power-manager
      </Program>
      <Program label="Screen Blanking off">
         killall xfce4-power-manager
[snip]

OTOH, sometimes CLI is full of pitfalls. Different shells provide/miss
some features and there's not always a standardized syntax, currently
there was a discussion about the dd command on the FreeBSD questions
mailing list. And btw. I currently run into issues when writing a dash
script for Linux.

:D

Regards,
Ralf