Xfce is very slow

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 30 19:12:35 CET 2014

previously on this list Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI contributed:

> > > Xubuntu is very light, and is the best Xfce distro all around :
> > "Very"? I couldn't install it on any of my own personnal computers... However, Debian runs on them...
>
> Have you considered SolydX ?
>
> Anyway, I have found Ubuntu to be useless to me since it relied on sudo, and some progs, modified for sudo, no longer worked properly when run as root...
>
> Cheers,

Commandline based programs?

Your not one of these PCLinuxOS mantra following idiots are you? with
"In the way of the ubuntus".

On PCLinuxOS with their wisdom you can't even run synaptic as a normal
user and then use aptitude or apt-get as root. It TELLS YOU TO run it as
root which you really should not be doing with X11 programs if you have
any security knowledge, unless they drop priviledges and run very little
in a specifically coded priviledge seperated process, and no polkit
doesn't cut the mustard at all or the bogus argument of peer review,
where polkit gets little and well known functions get lots or it would
be even better if they did.

In fact PCLinuxOS web pages tell you to run truecrypt as root when you
only need the core-service to run via sudo, though it will run as root,
just far less safely.

Atleast with sudo you can be a new user to linux and one day lock it
down nicely and have commands logged and inherit a safety blanket of not
forgetting your root.

Sorry XFCE list, I just have a hard time letting rubbish fly by
sometimes.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)