Xfce is very slow, part 2

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jan 29 19:14:07 CET 2014

On Wed, 2014-01-29 at 17:49 +0100, Hartmut Haase wrote:
> 6. Was the install media an official *buntu install media
> It was an upgrade.

Ubuntu Studio is based on Xubuntu, so even while you're using Ubuntu,
the issues are likely similar and related to the release upgrade.
IIRC Len Ovens an Ubuntu Studio developer once made tests, he did
release upgrades and compared it with new installs for a new release and
he preferred the new installs over the release upgrades. I might be
mistaken, that's why I CC'ed him, to avoid that I spread FUD.

IMO continuing troubleshooting another few weeks won't make much sense.
IMO reinstalling would be the more comfortable way to go. And my
recommendation to generate a list of the installed software and to
automatically reinstall it after doing a new install, in this situation
might be a bad idea. Only copy your private data, without all the hidden
app files and reinstall your *buntu from an official media instead of
using a release upgrade.

IMHO continuing troubleshooting to find out why it takes 10 seconds to
start an app won't make much sense. The most likely and some unlikely
culprits are (quasi) ruled out.

2 Cents,
Ralf

PS: At least the thread should move from the Xfce to the Ubuntu/Xubuntu
list, since it very likely seems to be related to *buntu.

If you want to avoid such issues use a rolling release. I for example
prefer Arch Linux over my Debian and *buntu installs.