Xfce is very slow, part 2

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 29 16:23:48 CET 2014

previously on this list Lars Behrens contributed:

> > megs of - shared - RAM). But it was running Mint XFCE, not Xubuntu, so that
> > might be an apples to oranges comparison, especially if Xubuntu is a "heavier"
> > OS (IDK if it is or not).
>
> No it isn't, at least not that significantly, I know both. I am pretty
> sure that it is nothing distro specific.

>>> Hi,
>>> I did some more investigations and found out:
>>> 1. Widows XP: fine
>>> 2. LMDE + xfce 4.10 from Debian: fine
>>> 3. Xubuntu + xfce 4.10 from Xubuntu: too slow
>>> 4. The display manager of Xubuntu does not pffer fvwm.

A difference between Ubuntu and Debian (such as versions) or Xubuntu
mods to xfce or extra xfce modules by default or the DM seems to be the
culprit, though too slow doesn't say whether the system stopped for 10
secs or just ran slower which it possibly would a bit anyway.

Further tests such as removing xubuntu xfce4 modules are probably the
way to go, if he's willing to pin point the problem rather than just
wanting it fixed.

Otherwise, is there a PPA that he can use to use standard Xfce on
Ubuntu?

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)