Xfce is very slow, part 2

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Mon Jan 27 19:07:17 CET 2014

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014, Hartmut Haase wrote:

> I did some more investigations and found out:
> 1. Widows XP: fine
> 2. LMDE + xfce 4.10 from Debian: fine
> 3. Xubuntu + xfce 4.10 from Xubuntu: too slow
> 4. The display manager of Xubuntu does not pffer fvwm.

Ah, not too surprising. I guess Xubuntu ships a relatively "heavy" Xfce
setup that's using more memory than your somewhat elderly system
comfortably supports. A long delay on switching desktops is consistent
with swapping stuff back from disk. If Xubuntu enables "desktop effects"
(compositing) by default that could well be the culprit.

Allin Cottrell