Xfce is very slow, part 2

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 24 22:00:05 CET 2014

previously on this list Ralf Mardorf contributed:

> > one thing I wanted to mention, too: I'm using 8 desktops with 4 programs
> > running always: Terminal, Opera, Thunar, Thunderbird, and in the panel
> > the weather-plugin.

If it's slow all round and you can't find a runaway porcess issue then
you could try fvwm. If it's still slow then it's not xfce and the simple
test of plugging the hard drive into another preferably completely
different machine to identify some hardware issue (I'd try that first)
or imaging onto another hard drive may be useful.

Do you hear any sounds as a clunk followed by 10 second stops while it
resets and spins back up again can be indicative of a Hard drive power
cable being funny or the power supply being overburdened. You may not
be able to hear it on a laptop though but you could boot of it with a
usb adaptor so you could hear it clunk when the power is too low or cuts
out..

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)