Notifications config

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 24 20:07:36 CET 2014

previously on this list Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI contributed:

> > on xubuntu12.04 with ppa xfce 4.10 they are also notify-osd installed,
> > but after removed it, i experienced the same no-control of xfce4-notifyd.
> > I have disabled it by:
> > sudo mv /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.xfce.xfce4-notifyd.Notifications.service /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.xfce.xfce4-notifyd.Notifications.service.disabled regards
>
> Thanks, but this completely stops any notification display; was looking to have them stay a shorter time on-screen  ;-3(
>
> Cheers,

In trying out xfce4-notifyd with fvwm when choosing packages I found it
wouldn't know where the corner of the screen was and would display
slightly below the previous every time and after a few could stick and
never disappear. So maybe that's some sort of cluestick if it's not
disappearing.

I haven't found the mail with what the actual problem is. I thought
notification's weren't showing at all. If it's slow all round and I
don't see why that should affect notifications then you could try the
simple test of plugging the hard drive into another preferably
completely different machine to identify some hardware issue or imaging
onto another hard drive.

Incidentally I've switched back to the amasing stability of fvwm and
gxmessage/yad for notifications with gkrellm2 over xfce4-panel as I am
no fan of the *conf stuff and xfce putting nameless configs everywhere
and causing headscratching and time with rediculously long org.??? lines
when writing install scripts never mind the lack of confidence in being
able to actually lock it down and certainly not as well as fvwm. I am so
happy I shall probably move almost all my systems to fvwm if I ever
have free time to write the program entries manually in it's
single .fvwmrc.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)