desktop icons for mounted filesystems?

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Mon Jan 20 18:13:38 CET 2014

Hello all,

This isn't a very big deal, but it's slightly bothersome and I wonder if
anyone can set me straight. (I'm running Xfce 4.10 on Arch.)

I have a few partitions noted in /etc/fstab but marked as "noauto", e.g. a
Windows ntfs drive and an old Linux partition:

/dev/sda4       /mnt/win8       ntfs    noauto 0 0
/dev/sda5	/mnt/oldsys	ext4    noauto 0 0

I mount these occasionally via, e.g., "mount /mnt/win8" as root. Fine.
When I do mount them, no desktop icon appears -- something that would be
quite nice to have, at least as a visual reminder. However (here's the
funny thing) when I _unmount_ one of these partitions a desktop icon
appears momentarily, then of course disappears.

The behavior of removable drives is fine: they appear as desktop icons
when hotplugged and get mounted if I click on them. It's just the behavior
of those partitions in fstab that's not quite right.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics