Xfce is very slow, part 2

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 19:18:36 CET 2014

I'm sorry, I have not digested everything in this thread, but I have seen
this symptom and on my laptop it is almost always due to power saving
features keeping the CPU going slow, even when you don't want them to.  The
cpufrequency controls are, well, almost diabolically complicated and the
daemons don't always do what you expect, the documentation on what to do is
really confusing and inconsistent.

For me, using either Debian or Ubuntu, the cpufrequency  up_threshold gets
stuck at system minimum, and even if you think you have re-set that, it
still goes back. I think the Mint linux documentation on this is best, but
here's the gist of it.

Suppose your governor is the "ondemand" governor.  Look at this

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold

Example

pauljohn at dellap7:~$ sudo cat
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
[sudo] password for pauljohn:
95

If it is set at 95, it means your system stays slow until its use is over
95%.

Manually lower that, allowing the CPUs to scale up more aggressively

$ su -c  "echo -n 70 >
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold"

I'm stunned by the difference on my Dell Precision M4600.  It is like
walking in jello, then speedy.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 11:24 AM, Hartmut Haase <hha4491 at web.de> wrote:

> Hi,
> at the moment with the monitor on everything looks fine, as if someone
> would say: catch me if you can.
> I need a litle more time to evaluate that HDD stuff. I'll write again as
> soon as I know more.
>
> --
> Viele Grüße,
> Hartmut
>
> Hungerhilfe: http://www.thehungersite.com
>
> Ohne Zensur suchen:
> http://suche.amnesty-bergedorf.de
> Googeln ohne Google:
> https://www.startpage.com/deu
>
> Das heutige Motto:
> Organisieren ist, wenn einer aufschreibt, was andere arbeiten.

Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science      Assoc. Director
1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504      Center for Research Methods
University of Kansas                 University of Kansas
http://pj.freefaculty.org               http://quant.ku.edu