Xfce is very slow, part 2

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Jan 14 18:54:34 CET 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-14 at 18:36 +0000, Maximilien Noal wrote:
> Le 14/01/2014 17:06, Hartmut Haase a écrit :
> > Xubuntu 13.10 + Xfce 4.10
> > Hi,
> <snip>
>
> Well, *if* it isn't :
> A) The CPU
> B) The Memory / Swap
> C) The HDD

But it is the HDD!

The HDD at best gets to hot and needs to get cold, but it likely is
irreparably broken.

Take a look at the output of Hartmut's

"07 	0x07 	Seek Error Rate 	N/A 	(Vendor specific raw value.) Rate of
seek errors of the magnetic heads. If there is a partial failure in the
mechanical positioning system, then seek errors will arise. Such a
failure may be due to numerous factors, such as damage to a servo, or
thermal widening of the hard disk. The raw value has different structure
for different vendors and is often not meaningful as a decimal number."
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

I don't own a drive that does show another value than 0. Do you really
think a value > 0 is a sign to continue troubleshooting with something
else, than the HDD? Perhaps the high value is meaningless, but I first
would run another HDD test, than to shoot into the dark.