Xfce is very, very, very slow

Genghis Khan genghiskhan at gmx.ca
Tue Jan 14 15:11:40 CET 2014

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 19:00:48 +0000
Maximilien Noal <noal.maximilien at gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 13/01/2014 17:57, Hartmut Haase a écrit :
> > Hi Maximilien,
> >> I do not believe that either, unless you're short on RAM.
> > how much RAM do you believe is necessary (I habve 1 GB)?
> 1 GB is fine, really.
>
> Of course that depends on your usage. If you use virtual machines,
> video encoding, or video editing software, you may need more than
> that.

My only issue on a 1GB RAM machine I have is with a popular XUL based
web browser I dare not to mention.

On that machine I can run the followings without a problem.

aMule, Claws Mail, Ekiga, Gajim, GIMP, LibreOffice Calc and Writer,
Liferea, MOC, SMPlayer, StarDict, Thunar, Tor, Transmission
 ~ 200MB - 400MB

I never run the followings simultaneously.

Midori
 ~ 40MB - 200MB

VirtualBox
 ~ 200MB - 300MB

--
Defending the constitution is expensive!
Help Lavabit.com by donating to the Lavabit Legal Defense Fund