Xfce is very, very, very slow

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Jan 14 12:49:28 CET 2014

On Mon, 2014-01-13 at 19:12 +0100, Johannes Lips wrote:
> Hartmut Haase wrote:
> > Hi Neil,
> >> When I install a new version of Xubuntu, (I never try upgrades),
> > can that be the reason? I ALWAYS upgrade, because I don't want to loose
> > all my settings by installing from the scratch. Or do you keep your
> > /home partition?
> Probably not, I never experienced something like that and I upgraded
> Xfce now for like four years.
> I think there must be something else going on and you need to closely
> monitor everything what's happening during those slow periods.

Nothing became better on Hartmut's machine when he run Xfce by a new
user, so it shouldn't be related to something in /home.

I've got Debian, *buntu and Arch Linux installed. The only good distro
IMO is Arch Linux. Both Debian and *buntu often fail. Debian might be a
good distro for servers, but *buntu is good for nothing, excepted of the
Ubuntu Studio work, they do a good job and it's based on Xubuntu.
The "drawback" of Arch Linux "is" that the user has to set-up everything
and this has to be done in the old school style, KISS, no Windows like
GUIs. This "drawback" IMO is an ___advantage___, since this way no
unwanted service will run etc..