Xfce is very, very, very slow

Neil Winchurst neilwin at drofle.co.uk
Mon Jan 13 13:39:45 CET 2014

On 13/01/14 12:07, Maximilien Noal wrote:
> On 13/01/2014 01:52, Genghis Khan wrote :
> But why Xubuntu is so good anyway ?
>
> * You get the latest Xfce, and a Xfce 4.12 PPA from the Xubuntu team is
> available (Xubuntu 12.04 has also a Xfce 4.10 PPA avalable from the
> Xubuntu team)
> * You get a nice looking and lightweight theme (only old Pentium 3 -
> based computers or bad graphics cards will be slowed down by it)
> * You get LTS releases (3 years of support for each of them) every two
> year.
> * You get a Xfce desktop that is tweaked to be more modern (for instance
> :PulseAudio and MPRIS2 support with xfce4-volumed-pulse,
> indicator-sound-gtk2 and pavucontrol)
> * Another rarity among Xfce distros : you get an applications menu that
> isn't cluttered with lots of elements. For example, the Settings menu
> only contains the Settings Manager.
> * Since Xubuntu 12.10, a lot more tools are integrated in the Settings
> Manager (for instance : the printing and networking preferences)
> * There is a large community, and a lot of documentation for Ubuntu and
> Debian works with it.
> * You get a Xfce desktop setup. Meaning that the main panel is on top,
> and there is another panel with launchers at the bottom of the screen.
> Manjaro has a more Windows-like setup.

Agreed that Xubuntu is the best Xfce distro. And easy to configure as
you like it. Interesting that last point. When I install a new version
of Xubuntu, (I never try upgrades), the very first thing I do is remove
the 'panel with launchers' from the bottom of the screen and then move
the main panel from the top to the bottom.

Each to his own,

Neil